The Airplane Factory
The Sling was designed with the aim of creating the most practical and desirable light sport aircraft available. Some of the features which make the Sling such a fine aircraft include:
- Her flying characteristics - perfectly coordinated, highly responsive controls (she feels like a fighter jet without being over-sensitive);
- Her performance - close to the best across the full range of qualities;
- Her aluminum construction - for ease and consistency of construction and proven strength and lifespan;
- Her airframe strength and durability – she won’t break easily and if you treat her right, she’ll last you for the rest of your life;
- Her excellent instrumentation options;
- Her wide cockpit, excellent all around view and substantial luggage capacity;
- The incorporation, by design, of a ballistic parachute for safety;
- The use of high quality components throughout;
No single aircraft can fulfill the special needs of every pilot. Nevertheless, The Airplane Factory believes that the Sling enjoys a set of qualities that will fulfill the needs, at the highest level, of many pilots and flight training schools.
The Sling comprises a stressed skin semi-monocoque structure, precision punched from sheet aluminium by CNC punch. Punching is so precise that no drilling-out or de-burring is required. Parts go together much as with a child’s "Mechano" toy. The entire build is light, precise and simple, even for beginners to manage.
Specs And Performance
The Sling can be flown either as a Light Sport Aircraft (LSA) or as a Very Light Aircraft (VLA).
As an LSA the Sling is flown subject to a MAUW restriction of 600kg. In this configuration the Sling complies with all the requirements of ASTM F2245 – "Standard Specification for the Design and Performance of a Light Sport Aircraft".
As a VLA the Sling is flown subject to a MAUW restriction of 700kg. In this configuration the Sling complies with all the requirements of the "Certification Specifications for Very Light Aeroplanes, CS-VLA". The aircraft specifications, save for fuel capacity and weights, however, are the same in each category.
The performances are different and are provided for both of the categories.